Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Who Wants to Look Young?


Since the dawn of advertising, women have been promised youth in a jar. Women are still hoping for that today, and because marketers have gotten all the more clever about how they present their products many women believe that it's possible.

Women are spending up to $100 to get the same results a $15 jar of moisturizer can give. It's a lucrative industry that's packaged to entice women, like me, who are in their forties and fifties uncertain, and at times fearful of what the near future will bring. I know this because I recently worked in the cosmetic industry selling these high-priced creams. I was targeting wrinkles nearly every day for six months using the best brands, and witnessed zero improvement.

I love makeup, fashion, beauty and youth as much as the next woman, but as much as I want to fight against the reality that I’m growing old, I have to ask myself the question, “Do I really want to hold on so tightly to something that’s only skin deep?”

It’s during this time of reflection that I begin to see that God has a different plan for my life—one that reflects the inner beauty I have.

Scripture after scripture tells me that I am precious in His sight—the spotless bride of a bridegroom who is wooing me daily to come to Him. When I open my eyes to the spiritual things in life, I see something new. I see a woman who is growing more beautiful every day, preparing for the return of her groom. The things around us will perish, but when we focus on Him, we discover the folly in the things of this perishing world, and we discover our beauty in the eyes of the Father.
I will sing for joy in God, explode in praise from deep in my soul! He dressed me up in a suit of salvation, he outfitted me in a robe of righteousness. As a bridegroom who puts on a tuxedo and a bride a jeweled tiara. For as the earth bursts with spring wildflowers, and as a garden cascades with blossoms, so the master, God, brings righteousness into full bloom and puts praise on display before the nations. ~ Isaiah 61:10, The Message

When I see the endearing love that God has for this child of His, I am reminded of a day long ago when I sat in the front seat of my father’s car. The sun shone on my freckled face, my orange hair was lifeless, and my grin revealed a toothless smile that only a father could love. And he did love me then as he does now.

Dad held on to the steering wheel of the old Chevelle, while the words of his song rang out, “...I’ll ne’er leave the girl with the strawberry curl, and the band played on...”

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive