Monday, December 20, 2010

Thoughts on Home Church


Dear Darlene,

I have been enjoying your blog.

I read your post about communion tonight and have a question. Do you home church? Is this in addition to the communion service at church?

Thanks,

Theresa
Being Refined as Silver


Dear Theresa,

Perceptive question. We home churched for several years about a decade ago. I absolutely loved home church since I'm a firm believer that God doesn't dwell in temples.


For where two or three come together
in my name, there am I with them.
~ Matthew 18:20, NIV


When I say "home church" I'm not talking about a cell group or home Bible study like most Christians are accustomed to. It was a weekly church meeting of about 35 people in our house. We also had prayer meetings, extra Bible studies, potluck dinners and outings for the kids. Most of us were homeschooling at the time as well.

Uniting the church has been a topic heavy on my heart for years, which is where, "Christian Women Online: Uniting Women of Faith" stemmed from. It was Christ's dying wish in the Garden of Gethsemane when He prayed that the church would be united and that through His death we would be united to God. I'm sad over the fact that in many cases, church walls divide the body of Christ. We are so fragmented by denominations, and further divided because we let our understanding of scripture stand in the way of love.

Where home church started out to be one thing for me, in many ways it became something else. We returned to organized church about nine years ago, because I wanted my children to be connected to a larger body of believers. It was also because I came to the personal realization that it's my responsibility to love the body of Christ and look past the areas where we differ in understanding. Tolerate sin? No. Study (and live) to show myself approved unto God? Absolutely.

All this to say, that, yes, we used to home church. Now we take communion at the little chapel we attend down the street, but we still enjoy celebrating the Lord’s supper with family and friends from other congregations. I know you didn't ask for a full essay on the subject, but some days I start to write and my keyboard decides to say more than it’s asked!


My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those
who will believe in me through their message, that all
of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I
am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may
believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory
that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—
I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to
complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me
and have loved them even as you have loved me.
~ John 17:20-23


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

Click to share on Facebook:Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive