Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Advice for Single Christians


Dear Darlene,

I love your blog. I love reading it and finding out that there are others out there that have the same beliefs as me. At the moment I am still single, I know God has wonderful plans for me right now--as well as work that needs to be done in me before I get married. Nevertheless, I enjoy the cleaning tips and learning what it means to be a woman of God and a wife.

I read that article written on you [local paper], and I read those comments. It hurts to know that you had to go through that. But Matthew 5:10 says blessed are those who are persecuted. It may not make it easier but know that your sisters in Christ are out there supporting you and God is on your side!

I was wondering if you had any advice on how to be a godly woman, even if I'm not married with kids? I feel like the Bible has all these verses on wives and mothers but nothing on single girls trying to be godly woman. Maybe I'm just missing those verses.

Thanks so much for your time,

Single Girl

P.S. I had to laugh on your bathroom deep cleaning post about the soap bottle and your kids getting a lot of soap. I have a daycare and we put a rubber band around the top of the bottle so the pump only goes down half way. It works great! The soap companies make the pumps big so you get a lot of soap out to use it up faster. So this helps us save some money!



Dear Single Girl,

Thank you for your letter. I'm humbled and grateful for your encouragement. Reading your letter again was just what I needed today.

While I count it joy to be persecuted for the sake of Christ my flesh feels the sting of the wound that each biting remark leaves. And then I’m reminded that words may sting my flesh, but the world can't touch my spirit--that belongs to my Father--bought and paid for by the blood of His Son.

Taking each step in grace I know that I'll arrive at a place of healing.

As I've said on my blog, being forgiven is one thing, but accepting that forgiveness is an entirely different thing. God's grace is hard to grasp; hard to wrap my mind around; hard to accept; because it's nothing close to anything the world has to offer. I'm in awe of His goodness.

Now to answer your question regarding single women:

According to Titus 2:4-5, I'm instructed as follows:


Urge the younger women to love their husbands
and children, to be self-controlled and pure,
to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be
subject to their husbands, so that no one
will malign the word of God.


But don't ever think for a minute that you are left out of that chapter or excluded from the words of my ministry. I'm certain that most "Titus 2 Women" would agree. The same principles can and should be applied to single women--that you be busy at home, self-controlled, pure, kind and subject to those in authority over you. And yes, you may not have children, but there are times in life when little ones are under our care whether it be children or those weak in the faith.

In addition, I believe that Proverbs 4 is vital to young women. It speaks to young people ready to embark on their future. It teaches the importance of getting wisdom, choosing the right path, and choosing healthy relationships. I’m assuming you’re young here, aren’t I? Excuse me if I’m wrong. But then again, young to me could be 65, LOL!

I digress. What stands out to me most are the last few verses that instruct us to guard our hearts. The world will advise you to follow your heart, but the Bible warns us that the heart is deceitful above all things. We must follow a pure conscience that is nurtured by the word of God.


Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.
~ Proverbs 4:23


I believe that the "heart" these scriptures talk about consists of our passions and desires. When we give our hearts to Jesus, we hand them over in obedience, choosing His will over ours. We have to guard our passions so that rather than pursuing them, we are pursuing the Spirit of God.


Those who belong to Christ Jesus have
crucified the flesh with its passions
and desires. Since we live by the Spirit,
let us keep in step with the Spirit.
~ Galatians 5:24-25


Thanks again for your letter. I cherish your fellowship.

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

Why no comments? Click here


Click to share on Facebook:


Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive