Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kathy's Craft Room(s) - A Tour



Give her of the fruit of her hands;
and let her own works praise her in the gates.
~ Proverbs 31:31


Two months ago, I took you on a tour of my sister Bonnie's craft room, and finally--as promised--I am ready to take through through Kathy's. Only Kathy doesn't have a room, she has two rooms--and they are incredible!

Before you go thinking that my family is super-organized beyond your wildest dreams, let me tell you that I have never been this tidy or organized a day in my life. I didn't even think it was possible until I saw it for myself. Kathy is exceptionally organized unlike anything I've ever seen. There isn't a stray thread or button in her drawers. Even her bobbins are individually wrapped and carefully put in their place.

But organization aside, these rooms are beautifully decorated. As you'll see, she has unique gadgets in every nook and cranny. It was really a lot of fun to tour and go peeking around in her drawers. Come on... let's take a look!

The moment you walk in her front door, you can't
help but notice
her quilting creations are scattered
throughout their home:



A quilted table runner in the dining room

one of two wall hangings that are in the upstairs hallway


The first room we toured was the cutting room.
This is the "fun" room where

she has unique gadgets in every corner:

I love the colored organizers on the top shelf.
They were even prettier in real life!



I didn't take photos of every gadget, because there were just too many.
This little sewing machine above is an antique toy--so cute! She had a similar
one across the room that was an actual miniature version of a Singer that
salesmen used to carry and get orders. Loved them!!
Also like the little milk box above. Cute idea!!


Is this vintage cart sweet, or what? Tell me where I can buy one!


Kathy folds, wraps, rolls, and ties her fabric scraps, unlike me who
throws them all together into a cardboard box.

Here are three completed wall hangings ready to be placed in her laundry room.

And this is a vintage-style baby quilt. I'm in love!

Speaking of baby quilts. There's a matching quilt inside that diaper bag.
Creative butterfly enclosure!



Next we enter Kathy's "Imagination Station."
This is the room that houses the

majority of the fabric. This is also the sewing room:

Her fabric supply reminded me of a sewing store. There was so much to choose from.

These buttons were the cutest! We took them out of the bag to have a closer look.

Wow, I've never seen anything as tidy. Ever!


I asked her about the scissors. She explained the various uses of each.

The inside of her drawers are every bit as organized as the desk tops.

She the way she folds her fabric? She's known for this
at quilting class. She's also known for stepping out of the box
when it comes to following patterns,

in that she always has to change or add to it in some way.

More folded fabric.


This is a fabric trash can for thread pieces.


I have to tell you about this iron! See how it's elevated?
The moment you take
your hand off of the handle,
it rises so that you don't burn your fabric.


And this is something else that's pretty cool.
Kathy recycles dryer sheets.
She irons and saves them up.
Then she attaches little pieces of
left-over fabric
scraps to create new fabric.

Thread looks so beautiful when it's organized. Most things do.


This is an example of her perfection. These buttons aren't
out of place,
she has designed it to look untidy.
I think that's the line that I'm going to start using *wink*

This was actually the first gadget I looked at. The measuring
tape is retractable, pins are stored in the handle, and if you look
into the microscopic-sized peek hole at the top, and hold it to the light,
you can see four vintage pictures with writing.
I was blown away. Very unique antique!!


And that brings us to the end of our tour.
Many thanks to Kathy for letting us into her
wonderful world of quilting!!


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

In participation with:

Raising Homemakers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive