Sunday, June 12, 2011

Unto God a Sweet Savor of Christ


I was a foolish young bride who listened to the un-wise counsel of those who advised, “Hide your dishes in the oven, away from your guests.”

I had just finished spreading the dough for our pizza when the doorbell rang. Michael got up to answer while I tidied up the kitchen. Grabbing all of the dishes I could find, I threw them into the oven (ditsy Little Darlene!). It seemed like a good idea at the time since my counters were sparkling clean in 40 seconds flat.

“Hello,” I smiled as our guests walked into the room, “dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes.”

Enjoying the company in my kitchen, I finished layering the pizza, while Michael poured coffee for the guests.

“Done,” I announced, setting the oven to heat at 425, “let’s go sit down in the other room.”

About 10 minutes later, our friends were standing outside on the back steps gasping for air while my husband did damage control in the kitchen. Every few seconds a melted bowl or two flew by my red face landing in the grass of our postage-stamp yard.

Thus marked the early years of marriage. My mom on the other hand--married for over fifty years--usually has the smell of a pie in the oven or a roast that greets us the moment we walk through the door.

Our lives can be somewhat like ovens at times, as living sacrifices we move through each day. One may have a stench in her stove from those things she hopes to conceal, while the pure heart of a another humbly offers a sweet aroma unto her Lord.

And yet it's not what WE are that is pleasing to God but rather the goodness of Him living and moving within us that is pleasing to Him.

Abel wanting to be washed clean brought a sin offering to God from his flock, while his brother Cain brought a tithe offering of the fruit from his gardens (Genesis 4:1-5). In essence, Cain was concealing his “dirt” rather than taking it to the Lord as a symbol of faith in the coming Messiah.

The Bible says that God had no respect for Cain or his offering.

When we come to God knowing who we are in His sight, we show faith in the atonement of Christ, becoming that sweet aroma that He calls us to be--trading pride for humility and shame for incomparable grace.


For we are unto God a sweet savor of Christ,
in them that are saved, and in them that perish.
~ 1 Corinthians 2:15


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

Find Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive