Sunday, November 27, 2011

Make Up? Shame on Me!


Out of the mouths of babes...

The other day my daughter got in my car after school and said, "Mom here's another reason I don't want to wear makeup: 18 billion dollars is spent on makeup a year, and 15 billion of those dollars could have fed and gave medical care to every child in the world for a year."

She had just learned some sobering facts about the excess that we spend each and every year on things like makeup, ice cream, perfume, golf, and military expenses, (www.weday.com) just to name a few. This got me thinking, what is the cost of beauty? I've always heard the phrase, "beauty hurts," but her statistics brought that reality to life it's more than getting your hair tangled in a brush it's saying yes to another lipstick when a child across the other world is being denied the basics of life like food and water.

Here's another one... 12 billion dollars are spent on perfume every year. Time for a "modesty" check ladies!

Let's look at the origin of the word:

1530s, "freedom from exaggeration, self-control," from M.Fr.modestie, from L. modestia "moderation," from modestus"moderate, keeping measure, sober," from modus "measure, manner" (dictionary.com)

I have to be honest here. I wear makeup, and when I think of modesty I've always tried to achieve a look that doesn't draw attention to myself--something that gives me a natural glow so I don't look made-up. But looking at my makeup bag (make that bags) and my makeup table I have to tell you that I've been anything but modest. The truth is my modesty has only gone skin deep.


I'm going to totally embarrass myself here by giving you an inventory of my cosmetics. And if you click off my website after reading it, I won't blame you. I am turned off too:

  • 5 Lipsticks
  • 3 Mascaras
  • 8 Eyeliners
  • 2 Press Powders
  • Day cream
  • Night Cream
  • Oil of Olay Moisturizer
  • Cream blush
  • Powder Blush
  • 2 Eye Shadows
  • Lip Plump
  • Concealer
  • 3 Foundations in Puddy Texture
  • 2 Liquid Foundations
  • 13 Nail Polish Bottles
  • 2 Foundation Primers
  • Bronzer
  • 7 Bottles of Perfume

And the hair:

  • 2 Straightening Irons
  • Curling Iron
  • Hair Dryer
  • Hot Rollers
  • Anti-humidity Spray
  • Extra Hold Mouse
  • Texturizing Paste
  • Heat Pro
  • Body Amplifier
  • Hair Putty
  • Heat Protection Spray
  • Iron Guard
  • 2 Hair Spray
  • Gel
  • Blonde Spotlight
  • Root Pump

I could use excuses like some of these were gifts, some were given to me when I worked at a drug store, and some of this is old inventory, but it's pretty obvious what the bottom line is--I haven't exercised self-control in this area of my life. Rather than stopping to consider poverty, I chose excess.

But who cares what I think, right? Let's look at what the Bible say about this:
I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. ~ 1 Timothy 2:9-10, NIV
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. ~ 1 Peter 3:3-4, NIV
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. ~ Titus 2:11-12, NIV

Put your best face forward and unwrap the spirit of Christmas--consider a child in need. www.worldvision.org


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

If you like this post, check out, "Are We Believing a Lie?" at Keepin' it Real.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive